During my time as an information developer in the oil and
gas industry, I was lucky to work with an outstanding writer and editor who
also became one of my best friends. We share a love of words, especially creating
new ones, and it was she who dubbed us verbivores. In an industry where many
people would be hideously bored, we were endlessly entertained. How could we
not be when presented with words like “appurtenances” every day?
Being a verbivore is a big part of why I became a writer. It’s
also what makes my editing and content projects so much fun. I've been writing
creatively since I learned the alphabet (my mother has the proof), and
importing that creativity into technical projects is a critical component of the
way I work. For example, we all know documents need to convey information to a
target audience. Sometimes the best way to do so is to present that information
differently. This is where the verbivore steps in.
Now I’m not advocating making up your own technical words
willy-nilly, or even rooting through the thesaurus to find the most esoteric
synonyms known to man. Just keep your mind open to the available options. Do
look at your thesaurus when a paragraph reads so dryly you think your message
might get lost in the dust. Do consider rewording when a sentence sounds too
much like something from another document. And above all, do have fun with your
composition, even if you don’t keep all of the fun bits.
No comments:
Post a Comment